The Bachelor of Science in Marine Engineering program provides knowledge and skills to students on the fundamentals of the operation of the ship’s main engine, adjunct and auxiliary machinery and the safe operation and maintenance of the ship's electrical and refrigeration machines. It aims to produce graduates who are able to work in the marine industry.
What are the admission requirements for BS in Marine Engineering in the Philippines?
- Must have recommendation from High School Principal and Guidance Counselor
- Must have a copy of NSO Authenticated marriage contract (if married)
- Must have most recent medical and dental health record
- Must take and pass the college entrance examination
- Must have NSO authenticated birth certificate
- Must have certificate of good moral character
- Must have high School report card (form 138)
- Must have recent 2x2 colored pictures
How long does it take to complete BS in Marine Engineering in the Philippines?
The Bachelor of Science in Marine Engineering takes 4 years to complete. It is comprised of 3 years academic studies and 1 year of supervised shipboard training.
What subjects are included in the BS in Marine Engineering program?
- General Psychology with Alcohol and Drug Prevention
- Analytic Geometry with Solid Geometry
- Engine Watchkeeping, Engine Officers
- Ship Construction and Ship Stability
- Marine Pollution and Prevention
- Mechanics and Hydrinechanics
- Marine Vocabulary and Terms
- Marine Power Plant, Diesel
- Fuel Oils and Lubricants
- Spherical Trigonometry
- Aptitude for the Service
- Ship and Ships Routine
- Engineering Drawing
- Auxiliary Machinery
- Marine Power Plant
- Plane Trigonometry
- Engineering Physics
- Electro Technology
- General Chemistry
- Integral Calculus
- College Algebra
- Machine Shop
- Heat Balance
- Basic Safety
What exam do I need to take to practice marine engineering in the Philippines?
In order to practice the profession in the Philippines, a graduate has to pass the Marine Engineer Officers Licensure Examination
. The examination is given by the Board of Marine Engineer
under the supervision of the Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC)
What are the requirements for admission to the Marine Engineer Licensure Examination?
- Must be a holder of a bachelor’s degree of marine engineering with academic credits on required subjects from a university recognized by the Philippine government.
- Must have a copy of the Transcript of Records with Special order and date of graduation with remarks “FOR BOARD EXAMINATION PURPOSES ONLY”
- Must not have any case filed or pending for moral turpitude in any court in the Philippines that involves moral turpitude
- Must have met the standards of medical fitness, particularly with good eyesight and hearing.
- Must have a copy of the NSO authenticated birth certificate
- Must be a citizen of the Philippines
- Must be of good moral character
What are the passing rates of the Licensure Examination for Marine Engineers in the Philippines?
- 2010 – 60% (1,057 out of 1,759)
- 2009 – 55% (1,143 out of 2,059)
- 2008 – 56% (1,384 out of 2,463)
- 2007 – 55% (989 out of 1,782)
- 2006 – 49% (802 out of 1,616)
What are the career opportunities of BS in Marine Engineering in the Philippines?
- Marine Deck Officer
- Merchant Marines
- Coast Guard Staff
- Marine Engineer
- Master mariner
- Navy Staff