The Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering (BSCpE) program is a combination of electrical engineering and computer science. Its curriculum provides students with a foundation in basic science, mathematics, software and engineering.
The program equips students with the ability to analyze, plan, design, install, operate and maintain digital devices and computer hardware and software systems. These include operating systems (such as Windows and Linux) , middleware (such as android systems, game engines), business applications (such as Microsoft Office, accounting software) and network control systems (such as CISCO) and computer games. You will also be taught on how to design a microprocessor and develop an embedded systems that are used in desktops or handheld devices. In addition, written and oral communication skills are emphasized throughout the program .
The teaching methods used are classroom discussions, practicum exercises spent in computer laboratories, team projects and on the job trainings or internships.
Is Computer Engineering a profession?
Computer Engineering is a profession. Computer engineers evaluate users' needs and utilize principles from computer science and mathematics to create software that meets the requirements. They develop algorithms and convert them into programming language.
A graduate of BS in Computer Engineering automatically becomes a Computer Engineer as the course proffesion does not require any board examination.
What are the admission requirements for BSCpE?
The only specific requirement for this course is to have an 85% grade in both Science and Math. If you are a high school graduate, able to submit the necessary credentials/documents, and passed the college entrance examination and interview, you will be admitted in the BS CpE program.
Students who were not able to complete secondary level of education have the chance to be admitted if they pass the Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT).
What skills are required to succeed in this course?
Prior knowledge in computers is not a prerequisite for this course. However , there are skills that you need to possess or develop in order to succeed:
- Analytical skills – identify and assess inefficiencies and problems in software and hardware processes
- Mathematical skills on a high level – the ability to solve and use different computational methods
- Logical and critical thinking skills – ability to solve problems systematically and understand the logical connection between ideas
- Technical Skills – the ability to accomplish mathematical, engineering, scientific or computer–related duties, as well as other specific tasks
- Decision making skills – the ability to make sound judgement with regards to solving problems in computer software applications without aggravating the current problem
- Communication skills – sufficient grasp of oral and written English; the ability to start an effective conversation
How difficult is this course?
BSCpE is a difficult course. It requires a lot of analysis, logical thinking and technical skills which most people find hard.
How long does it take to complete the Computer Engineering program in the Philippines?
Normally, the BSCpE program takes 5 years to complete. Some schools who apply the trimesteral system do the program in 4 and half or 4 years.
On the job training/Internship
As set by CHED
(the official governing body of higher education institutions), the total number of internship hours for the BSCpE program is 240 hours.
On the job training/internship takes 4 to 6 months during the fourth year.
During on the job trainings or internships you will be assigned in a locally recognized computer engineering or engineering–related institution where you can apply what you have learned in a real life situation.
There are also schools who form partnerships with international companies. Students who can afford the cost of going abroad may undertake their internships in these companies.
- Software Development – concerned with the facets of software development process which includes research, design, implementation and testing of software
- Computer hardware system development –a specialized field concerned with the design and development of scanners, printers, monitors, central processing units etc.
- System and Network Administration – a field concerned with the installation, support and maintenance of servers or other computer systems and the development of a plan for service outages and other problems
- Microelectronics – the design, manufacture, and use of microchips and microcircuits
- Robotics/ Artificial Intelligence – deals with the design, construction, operation, and application of robots as well as computer systems for their control, sensory feedback, and information processing
Is there a board examination for BSCpE?
There is no board examination for BSCpE.
Some graduates choose to take the competency examination called the Civil Service Examination
. Those who will pass the civil service examinations are conferred a civil service eligibility, a basic requirement for entrance to government service.
Career Opportunities for BSCpE graduates
Jobs related to Computer Engineering
- Entry to Mid level positions – jobs requiring no prior to minimal level of experience
- Junior Software Developer – design and maintain software applications; conduct system tests, troubleshoot customer issues and correct software defects
- Test Engineers – creates a process that would test a particular product in manufacturing, quality assurance or related area like RMA department, in order to assure that the product meets applicable specifications.
- Computer Programmer – rewrites, debugs, maintains, and test software and programs that instruct the computer to accomplish certain tasks such as storing or retrieving data
- Support Specialist – serves as help desk technicians answer phone calls or emails from people with software or hardware problems they cannot solve by themselves
- Instrumentation Technician – inspects and adjusts mechanical and pneumatic instruments and systems
- Applications Analyst – creates word processing applications and web browsers
- Printed Circuit designer – designs printed circuit boards for computers or other electronic equipments with the use of computer–aided drafting software
- Electrical Designer – create wiring diagrams for installers; gives details on the layout and materials required for an electrical system
- Robotics Control Systems Engineer – designs, researches and develops programs and applications for robots; they also work in testing and product development, testing the robot's components to create the final design
- Advanced Positions – require years of extensive experience and practice
- Network systems administrator/manager – oversees the implementation and administration of computer and telecommunication networks for an organization
- Computer Systems Manager – plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as electronic data processing, information systems, systems analysis, and computer programming
- Quality Assurance Manager – assures consistent quality of production by developing and enforcing good automated manufacturing practice (GAMP) systems; validating processes; providing documentation; managing staff
- Senior Communications Engineer – monitors outgoing and incoming signals and operate transmitters, repair broadcasting equipment and adjust the contrast, brightness and sound of outgoing television signals
- Systems Analyst – design scientific, engineering, financial and other applications; consult with managers and employees to define the requirements, and then develop and integrate the necessary hardware and software systems
- Network Architects – designs and structures computer networking within businesses
- Systems Engineer – designs and implements computer systems, software and networks; ensure that computer systems function efficiently and securely to support an organization's information technology needs
- Computer Consultant – gives advice regarding computer programs and applications a company should use or might need; creates computer networks, writes user manuals and design websites or provides training classes in computer usage
Jobs not related to Computer Engineering
- Call center agent – answers phone calls and inquiries of clients and provides customer support, usually to people from other countries
- Administrative Staff – personnel responsible for the organization and management of office duties and tasks; positions that include office secretary, personal assistant and office clerk
- Freelancer working online – doing online jobs for clients abroad, such as data entry, article writing, SEO, customer support , administrative support etc., which mainly depends on your skills
Career Opportunities AbroadThere is high demand of computer engineers overseas. According to one report demand will increase in the coming years because of the widespread use of electronics, wireless technology, data processing and information security ( see source ). Experience plays a major role in getting a job abroad. You will most likely need practical, hands on experience of a few years to be a relevant candidates.
Salary LevelsIn the Philippines, Software Engineers/developers with up to 4 years of experience receive a salary between P15,000 to P20,000 per month. For those holding more advanced positions or an experience of 5 years and above, the salary ranges from 25,000 to 30,000 per month. (see source 1 , source 2 )
In industrialized countries, pay is definitely higher than local rates. Salary in the USA ranges from $60,000 to $130,000 per year. (See source 1 , source 2).